Air Termination System in Lightning Protection System
Components of Lightning Protection System are need to be analyse before the design a lightning protection system for structure or building.
Air rods (or finials)
Therefore Free standing masts or linked with conductor to form a mesh on the roof is know as air rod.
Catenary (or suspended) conductors
Supported by free standing mast or linked with conductor to form a mesh on the roof is known as Catenary (or suspended) conductors
Meshed conductor network – Components of Lightning Protection System
Lie in direct contact with the roof or be suspend above it (if it is of paramount importance that the roof is not expose to a direct lightning discharge).
Positioning of Air Termination Systems
Down Conductor System in Lightning Protection System
- The lightning current is shared between down conductors which are drawn to earth.
- The greater the number of down conductors, the lesser the current that flows down each
- Typical value of the distances between down conductors are show in below
Natural Components – Components of Lightning Protection System
- Also It encourage to use fortuitous metals on or within the structure due to be incorporate into the Lightning protection system.
- If reinforcing bars connect for equipotential bonding or EMC purposes, then wire lashing deem to be suitable for Lightning protection system.
- Internal reinforcing bars are require to connect to external down conductors due to earthing network in Lightning protection system.
- If the reinforcing bars (or structural steel frames) are to used as down conductors, after that electrical continuity should ascertained from the air termination system to the earthing systems in Lightning protection system.
Earth Termination System in Lightning Protection System
- Effective Earthing System
- Providing low impedance network due to dissipates the fast rising lightning impulse in Lightning Protection System.
- Minimization of touch and step potential due to hazards
- Three basic earth electrode arrangements are use.
- arrangement Type A
Arrangement Type B
Foundation earth electrode is installing closed loop formation. Because It installs along the outer edges of the foundation of structure. It is conductively connect to the reinforcement by either welding or clamping. Usually gap between two conductors is maintain at least 2 meters.
Touch and Step Potential
Step Voltage – Components of Lightning Protection System
The difference in surface potential experienced by a person bridging 1 m with the feet without contacting any other grounded object.
Touch voltage – Components of Lightning Protection System
The potential difference between the GPR and the surface potential at the point where a person is standing while at the same time having a hand in contact with a grounded structure.
Components of Lightning Protection System are not over by now its continue with time due to technology