Surge Protection is very essential to have in modern era buildings to protect the devices due to sensitive characteristics. For instance did you think How do Surge over voltages occur?
How do Surge over voltages occur?
Surge Over voltages are exceptionally induced by:
- Transient switching operations due to operations
- Lightning due to the atmospheric discharges
- Electrostatic discharges due to some reasons
- Due to Erroneous switching operations. Above all are causes for Surge Over voltages
Electrical Over voltage characteristics – Surge Protection
Duration of an Impulsive surge is very little
Electrical overvoltage characteristics – Surge Protection
|Lightning||Ultra rapid transient phenomenon unit of measurement is the KV/us|
Highly destructive energy
|Over voltage generated via operation or incidents on the network||Respective phenomenon main to untimely ageing|
Malfunction which may additionally even end result in everlasting damage
Standard Lightning Impulse
Voltage – Surge Protection
Current – Surge Protection
- Direct lightning (high energy type) (10/350 µs)
- Indirect lightning (low energy type) (8/20 µs)
Causes of Surges due to the Lightning Discharges
Direct lightning strike
- Striking of exterior lightning safety system, system shape (in industrial plants), cables etc.
- Voltage drop at the impulse due to earthing resistance Rst
- Induced voltage in loops due to Direct lightning strike
Distant lightning Strike
- Strike into medium voltage overhead lines
- Fields of the lightning strike
- Surge traveling waves on overhead strains due to cloud-to-cloud lightning
Over voltages are voltages that exceed the ordinary values due to some phenomena
• These everyday values decide the insulation. In addition which is designed and examined in accordance to the appropriate regulations.
• The diploma of insulation varies relying on the kind of electrical equipment due to ” insulation coordination”.
Insulation Level – Surge Protection
• An object for use with 230 V. In addition As a example an electric motor, is geared up with insulation examined with a few kilovolts.
• It is apparent that a chip on a PCB working with 5 V can’t have the equal dielectric strength after the this chip 10 V ought to suggest disaster.
Incoming points of Over voltages
- Due to Direct Lighting
- Due to Surges coming thru carrier lines
SPD (Surge Protection Device) Types in Surge Protection
- SPD Type I – 10/350 µs ,SPD Type II – 8/20 µs, SPD Type III – 8/20 µs
Therefore Cascading will increase the present day diverting ability of the SPD system
Internal Lightning Protection System
Equipotential Bonding at the Boundary of LPZ
In addition read According to IEC 62305-4
• Equipotential bonding for all metallic components and furnish strains (e.g. metallic pipes, electrical strength or information lines) and which are coming into at the boundary of an interior LPZ shall be carried out at equipotential bonding bars which are set up as intently as viable to the factor of entry.
• SPDs with appropriate strength carrying capability for electrical electricity and statistics strains at the factor of entry into the LPZ have constantly to be installed.
Lightning Equipotential Bonding for incoming Lines – Surge Protection
Power supply, information and telecom strains are linked thru Lightning Protection units (LPD) to Equipotential Bonding Bar (EBB) due to That is separate earthing are no longer allowed as it can lead to make circulating modern-day in faults.
Surge Protection is very essential to have in modern era buildings to protect the devices due to sensitive characteristics. Also you need more details for more
for more visit